Kennesaw State University (KSU) will reimburse employees their qualified expenses up to the approved budget amount within one year from date of employment. Please note that effective 1/1/2018 all reimbursed relocation expenses are fully taxable due to the passage of the 2018 tax reform bill.
The Relocation Reimbursement Form and instructions can be found under Payroll Forms.
Qualified expenses include:
- Moving van line (common carrier)
- Rental truck (self move)
- Packing and crating
- Storage costs for household goods (up to 30 days)
- Shipping of up to two vehicles
- Final trip costs for employee and family which may include lodging for a maximum of 2 nights at a maximum rate of $100.00 per night. (No meals are reimbursable)
- Airfare and auto expenses (please include all receipts.)
Please refer to IRS Publication 521 for further information.
KSU does not reimburse expenses for:
- Animals (other than household pets)
- Campers and trailers
- Temporary housing costs (Except for a maximum of 2 nights of lodging at a maximum rate of $100.00 per night.)
- Other non-household items
KSU does not reimburse expenses incurred in any real estate, remodeling or utility transactions, nor the storage of goods, except storage of household effects for up to thirty (30) days. Non-qualified reimbursable expenses as determined by IRS regulations will not be reimbursed by the university.
Academic Movesprovides no-cost relocation services including carrier discounts, priority move dates, community assessments, tours, home finding and rental services as part of their total personal move management program. Academic Moves is a professional but independent service option offered to employees on a voluntary use basis. If you wish to hire Academic Moves to coordinate your relocation, please do so on a “pay for service” basis. You may submit your receipt to KSU for reimbursement. We no longer pay Academic Moves directly.
NOTE: If you are allowed more than $5000.00 for your move, and you exceed that amount, the University System of Georgia and Kennesaw State University require that you submit 3 quotes for your move to show that you have elected to use the lowest quote.